Vegan Apple Turnovers
Adapted from Apple Turnovers by Ina Garten
- 2 lemons
- 2 big (or 3 medium) tart apples, peeled, cored and cut in a 1/2 inch dice
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- Oil spray (I used coconut)
Adapted from housevegan.com
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put the cut apples into a large bowl. Zest and juice both lemons over the apples and stir to coat.
3. Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the apples and stir to combine.
4. On a lightly floured surface roll each sheet of the puff pastry to a 12x12" square. Cut each sheet in half and then in half again to end up with 8 equal squares.
5. Brush the edges of each square with a little bit of water. Place about 1/3 cup of the apple mixture onto half of each square and fold the pastry diagonally over the apples. Seal the turnovers by pressing the edges with a fork.
6. Spray the turnovers with a little bit of oil, and sprinkle with some sugar. Make 2 small slits on the tops and bake for 15-20 minutes, until brown and puffy.