Oven Beer Can Chicken
- 3 - 4 pound whole chicken - kosher or free range is best
- 4 ounces pinot grigio or chicken broth
- 2 TBSP dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion salt or finely minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste.
PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees F. - rack on bottom.
REMOVE any innards or other items from inside of the chicken.
RINSE the chicken inside and out in cold, running water.
OPTIONAL: seal neck of chicken with skewer (shown) for gravy, seal neck, for moister chicken, leave open.
Combine dry ingredients, RUB the chicken, inside and out. Stuff inside of bird with fresh herbs if you like.
Pour wine into cup of Weber roasting pan. Set chicken on rack, put rack in pan. ARRANGE chicken, allow the two legs to form two sides of tripod so chicken is stable.
WHEN oven is ready (400 degrees), place chicken in pan on bottom rack. Some cooks 'tent' the bird with foil for the first hour or so to prevent over-browning.
REDUCE oven to 350 degrees after 1/2 hour. Check visually after about 1/2 hour and rotate the chicken in a half circle to cook evenly, should brown slowly and evenly. cook until thermometer reaches 180 degrees F.
RECOMMENDED cooking times (350 degrees):
2½ - 3 lbs - 1 - 1¾ hrs
3½ - 4 lbs - 1½ - 1¾ hrs
4½ - 5 lbs - 1½ - 2 hrs
5 - 6 lbs - 1¾ - 2½ hrs
You'll also love
- Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken and Biscuit Kabobs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheesy Corn and Chicken Turnovers 3/5 (2 Votes)
- Roast Chicken with Potatoes and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buttermilk Crumb-Coated Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Beer Can Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Corona Beer Chicken (Slow Cooker) 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe