Pork katsu and tonkatsu sauce (Japanese breaded pork and dipping sauce)
- ◾4 (1/2-inch thick) boneless pork chops
- ◾2 tablespoons all-purpose or rice flour
- ◾1 egg, beaten
- ◾1/2 cup panko (Japanese style bread crumbs)
- ◾Vegetable oil
- Tonkatsu sauce:
- 1/4 C ketchup
- 1/3 C soy sauce
- 1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T hoisin sauce or tangy bbq sauce
- garlic powder to taste
- black pepper to taste
Adapted from bing.com
Prepare sauce by whisking together all ingredients and refrigerating.
Between two sheets of waxed paper beat pork cutlets as thin as possible with a meat mallet. Season cutlets with salt and pepper. Beat the egg in a low bowl. Coat the cutlets first in the flour, then the egg, and finally the panko crumbs. Over medium high heat pan fry pork for approx. 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and no longer pink inside.
Serve warm with tonkatsu sauce for dipping.