Auntie Lisa's suafa'i (Samoan tapioca pudding w/bananas and coconut cream)
- 8 bananas
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup tapioca
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- The sugar is optional but I do recommend it. Make sure you pull the inner strings off the bananas before boiling! The riper the banana the stronger the banana flavor.
- Our family's personal taste is to use an entire can of purchased coconut milk and reduce the water accordingly. Or if using homemade coconut milk to reduce the water by a half a cup and increase the coconut milk a half a cup.
Adapted from bing.com
Peel the bananas and place in a medium saucepan. Add the water and then bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Break the bananas up with a wooden spoon, fork or masher.
Sprinkle the tapioca into the saucepan while stirring. Add the coconut milk and then simmer over low/medium heat until the tapioca is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir frequently. Finally, taste the suafa’i. If you like a little more sweetness, then add sugar to taste.
Remove from the heat, leave for about 30 minutes to cool and then serve in a bowl or cup. You can also cool suafa’i completely, and refrigerate it. Once cooled, serve it as a snack or dessert.
You'll also love
- Creamed tuna on toast 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- New Orleans Kickin' Potato Salad 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Black & Decker: Sweet & Spicey... 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Wheat Belly Date Nut Quick Bread 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Chocolate-Glazed Coconut Almond... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Sweet Coconut Bread 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Easy Banana Bread 4.6/5 (17 Votes)