Macaroni and Cheese Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk (*Note: the original recipe calls for 2 1/3 cups buttermilk, which I felt was a little heavy. Here, I’m cutting it down with whole milk for a milder taste. But feel free to use all buttermilk and no whole milk!)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups cooked macaroni, preferably elbows or small shells, drained and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
- Maple syrup and hot sauce for serving
In a large bowl, whist the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milks, eggs and butter. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (the batter will be slightly lumpy) . Fold in the macaroni and cheddar.
Pre-heat and lightly grease a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Scoop batter onto the griddle to make pancakes. Cook until undersides are golden brown and slightly stiff, about 5 minutes.
Flip and cook until second side is golden brown.
Repeat with remaining batter and serve warm with syrup and hot sauce (if desired).