white bean and cumin chili
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 14.5-ounce cans tomatoes, cut up
- 1 12-ounce can beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped, seeded, and peeled Golden Nugget or acorn squash (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- Lime wedges (optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 29mins
1. In a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, undrained tomatoes, beer, chipotle pepper, cumin, sugar, and salt. Stir in beans and squash.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours. Meanwhile, combine sour cream, lime juice, and chives; cover and chill until ready to serve.
3. To serve, ladle chili into bowls. Top with sour cream mixture. If desired, garnish with lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.
* To toast cumin seed, place seeds in a dry skillet over low heat. Cook about 8 minutes or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; allow to cool before grinding in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
Servings Per Recipe 4 servings Calories365, Total Fat (g)15, Saturated Fat (g)5, Cholesterol (mg)13, Sodium (mg)995, Carbohydrate (g)52, Fiber (g)13, Protein (g)17, Vitamin A (DV%)26, Vitamin C (DV%)67, Calcium (DV%)15, Iron (DV%)33, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet