Substitute the applesauce for oil in a 1:1 ratio, minus a few teaspoons. Then add a few teaspoons of oil or butter to help maintain the right texture.
- 3 pounds of apples
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or canola oil
- 6 tablespoons sweetener (sugar, agave, maple syrup, etc)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Adapted from ourlittleapartment.com
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Wash, core, and slice apples.
2. Combine other ingredients with apples in roasting pan. Cook for 25-30 minutes, turning once.
3. Mash and/or purée apples. Store in jars in freezer. (Or attempt to can but that part terrifies me!)
Puree the apple mush in the food processor until smooth. (If you peel your apples and like a chunkier applesauce, mashing alone will work.)