Escarole and Bean Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 c whole-grain orzo
- 1/4 t each: crushed red pepper, ground black pepper
- 1/2 c water
- 1 can (15 oz.) white kidney beans, rinsed
- 4 c chopped escarole (about 1 bunch)
- /4 c grated parmesan cheese
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
In a large pot over a medium-high flame, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onions are soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, orzo, red pepper flakes, black pepper and water. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 6 minutes.
Add the beans and greens, then cook, stirring often, until the greens are tender, about 5 more minutes.
Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.