Pulled Pork Sandwiches
366 Calories per serving
- 2-1/2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 boneless pork butt or shoulder (about 2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 hamburger buns
1. In a small bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon of the sugar, the paprika, chili powder, cumin and pepper; set aside.
2. Lay pork on work surface and sprinkle on all sides with spice rub; rub well into meat. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
3. Unwrap pork and place in slow cooker with chicken broth. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker and cut into large chunks; let stand for 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
4. While pork is cooling, pour cooking liquid into a fat separator. Pour de-fatted liquid into small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat. Whisk in vinegar, ketchup and remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar. Cook until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes; set aside.
5. Using forks or your hands, pull meat into shreds, discarding excess fat, and place in bowl. Stir in sauce and put 1/2 cup meat on each bun. Serve immediately.