Black Beans Refried
- 1 bag of uncooked black beans, picked over
- 1 32 ounce container of low sodium broth of choice
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 large onion diced
- 1large handful of cilantro (include stems)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed and rough chopped
Heat olive oil in heavy duty dutch oven type pan.
Add onions and garlic. Cook until the flavors are caramelized. Add washed black beans to pan.
Pour half of the broth to cover beans, then put ham hock in and then add cilantro, leaves and stems. then add the rest of the broth.
Cook for about 2 hours or until beans are soft.
Remove beans and place in food processor and pulse to a mashed potato consistency. (should be able to spread over crackers or burrito.
Serve as a dip with chips.