Smothered Pork Chops
- 5 end-cut pork chops, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Preheat an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to the pan. Add the pork chops and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
In same skillet over medium heat add the remaining tablespoon of canola oil, the onions and mushrooms and saute until slightly softened. Add the flour and cumin and cook until lightly golden in color. Stir in the chicken broth and mustard, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the parsley and return all but 1 pork chop back into skillet. Reserve the 1 pork chop for Round 2 Recipe Pork Cabbage Wraps. Season with salt and pepper and spoon the gravy over the pork chops. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until pork chops are cooked through.