Butternut Cheddar Squash Soup
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or prepared chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
Adapted from cabotcheese.coop
1. In large saucepan, combine squash and stock or broth; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan and simmer squash for 20 minutes or until very tender.
2. Uncover and let cool. Puree in blender or food processor, in batches if necessary.
3. Return puree to saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir in sour cream, cheese, butter and red pepper. Add salt and white pepper to taste. If squash lacks sweetness, add optional sugar.
4. Stir soup just until heated through (do not allow to boil). Serve sprinkled with chives.
Calories 168, Total Fat 10g, Saturated Fat 5g, Sodium 1073mg, Carbohydrates 14g, Dietary Fiber <1g, Protein 7g, Calcium 100mg