Chicken Shiraz With Porcini And Whole Shallots
- 1 can low-salt chicken broth - (14 oz)
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms*
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta** chopped
- 4 large chicken breast halves with skin and bones halved crosswise
- 3 chicken thighs with skin and bones
- 3 chicken drumsticks with skin and bones
- 6 whole shallots
- 10 ounces crimini (baby bella) mushrooms halved
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Shiraz (or other hearty dry red wine)
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
* Available in the produce section of many supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Italian markets.
** An Italian bacon cured in salt; available in the refrigerated deli case of many supermarkets and at Italian markets.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bring broth and porcini mushrooms to boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature until mushrooms soften, about 25 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to cutting board and chop coarsely. Pour mushroom broth into medium bowl, leaving sediment behind. Reserve broth.
Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until crisp and brown, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle all chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add chicken to pot and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter.
Pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from pot. Add whole shallots to pot. Cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add crimini mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms begin to brown, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Stir in chopped shallots, thyme, garlic, and reserved porcini mushrooms; cook until chopped shallots are soft, about 2 minutes. Stir flour into shallot mixture and continue stirring 1 minute. Stir in wine, reserved mushroom broth, and pancetta. Add chicken thighs and drumsticks to pot. Bring to boil.
Cover pot and transfer to oven. Bake 25 minutes. Add chicken breasts to pot. Cover and bake until all chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes longer. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to platter; tent with foil to keep warm.
Boil sauce in pot until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken on platter, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.