Baked Yams With Ginger-Molasses Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 3 tablespoons golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Pinch ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 6 yams - (8 oz ea)) rinsed, patted dry (red-skinned sweet potatoes
Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Stir in crystallized ginger. Season with salt and generous amount of pepper. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Bring ginger-molasses butter to room temperature before using.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pierce yams in several places with fork; bake on rimmed baking sheet until tender when pierced with fork, about 50 minutes.
Cut lengthwise slit in each yam and press in ends to open top. Spoon 2 tablespoons ginger-molasses butter into each yam and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.