- 3 ounces of turkey bacon, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot minced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 pound of dark ground turkey meat
- 1/2 pound of light ground turkey meat
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 oz can tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup rice milk
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 155mins
1. In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderate heat.
2. Heat the butter and oil in the same pan over moderately low heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the bacon, and ground turkey. Cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the wine. Increase the heat to high and simmer until almost evaporated. Stir in the stock and salt and cook at a bare simmer, stirring occasionally, until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 1/4 hours. Stir the tomato paste, oregano, basil, pepper and milk into the ragu and simmer 15 minutes longer.