Stacked Enchiladas With Turkey And Chipotle Beans
- 2 cans medium-hot enchilada sauce - (10 oz ea)
- 1 can refried beans - (16 oz) divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles*
- 16 corn tortillas - (5" to 6" dia)
- 1 cup chopped green onions - (abt 4 large) divided
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey meat - (abt 10 oz) reheated, divided
- 5 1/2 ounces coarsely-grated Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 4 ounces crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese divided
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocado
* Chipotle chiles are simply dried, smoked jalapeños, they're sold canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo. Find them at some supermarkets, specialty foods stores, and Latin markets.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 200 degrees. Bring enchilada sauce to simmer in medium skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to very low. Combine refried beans and chipotles in another medium skillet. Stir bean mixture over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Dip 1 tortilla into enchilada sauce just until softened, about 10 seconds. Using tongs, transfer tortilla to ovenproof plate. Spread 1/3 cup bean mixture over. Top with 1 tablespoon green onions. Dip second tortilla into sauce; place atop bean mixture. Top with 1/2 cup turkey meat, then 1 tablespoon green onions. Dip third tortilla into sauce. Place atop turkey; sprinkle with 1/3 cup Jack cheese, then 1 tablespoon green onions. Dip fourth tortilla into sauce; place atop Jack cheese. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons queso fresco. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, bean mixture, green onions, turkey, Jack cheese, and queso fresco.
Transfer to oven and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Drizzle remaining enchilada sauce over tortilla stacks. Sprinkle each with diced tomatoes, avocado, and remaining green onions and serve warm.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
No Rolling Required: Here the tortillas are layered with the filling (New Mexico-style) so that each person gets a neat stack. Rewarm the turkey in broth or water in the microwave, or in a skillet on the stove.