Vidalia Onion Casserole
Hands on: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
This is a great side dish for a roast dinner, and one to keep in mind for Thanksgiving. You can also top the casserole with crumbled potato chips or crackers.
Per serving: 190 calories (percent of calories from fat, 52), 7 grams protein, 17 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 11 grams fat (7 grams saturated), 29 milligrams cholesterol, 512 milligrams sodium.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 pounds (about 3 large) Vidalia onions, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat or regular sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onions and sauté for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, 1 cup Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Scrape into baking pan and top with remaining Parmesan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.