Basil Spaghetti with Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes
- 12 oz spaghetti
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs), each cut into 4 thick slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 oz), plus more, shaved, for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Heat broiler. Cook pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot.
Meanwhile, arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Season with 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper. Dividing evenly, sprinkle the slices with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
In a small saucepan, warm the oil with the garlic and red pepper over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the garlic oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve topped with the tomatoes, additional basil, and shaved Parmesan.