Heirloom Tomato Salad With Blue Cheese
- 8 slices crusty bread, 1/2" thick
- 4 large garlic cloves halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup currant or grape tomatoes (or halved cherry or pear tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 10 medium heirloom tomatoes of assorted colors cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion sliced paper-thin
- 3 celery stalks sliced thin
- on the diagonal
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely-crumbled blue cheese
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Rub bread with cut garlic halves; brush bread with 3 tablespoons oil. Combine remaining 1/3 cup oil, currant tomatoes, and green onions in medium bowl; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Overlap tomato slices in concentric circles on platter, alternating colors. Scatter onion and celery slices over tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon tomato and green onion mixture over. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese.
Grill bread until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Cut each slice diagonally in half; serve with salad.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.