Creamy Rice With Lemon, Herbs, And Parmesan
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups arborio rice - (12 to 13 oz) (or medium-grain rice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons butter - (3/4 stick) cut small pieces, and at room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (packed) plus
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil sprigs for garnish
Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot over high heat. Add rice and onion. Boil until rice is just tender, about 16 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Mix parsley, butter, basil, lemon juice, and lemon peel in large bowl. Add hot rice mixture; stir to melt butter. Add reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid and 1 cup cheese; stir. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Garnish with basil sprigs and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
What to drink: Arneis or Soave.