Chili-Roasted Game Hens With Jalapeno-Orange Sauce
- 2 Cornish game hens halved lengthwise
- 8 cilantro sprigs plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder (preferably chipotle)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup hot red jalapeño jelly
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup bottled red salsa
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slide fingertips under game hen skin to loosen from meat. Insert cilantro sprigs under skin. Sprinkle hens with chipotle chili powder; season with salt. Place hens, skin-side up, on rimmed baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir jelly, orange juice, and orange peel in small saucepan over medium heat until jelly melts, about 2 minutes. Brush hens with some jelly mixture; continue to roast until cooked through and brown, brushing once more with mixture, about 15 minutes longer.
Bring remaining jelly mixture to simmer. Stir in chopped cilantro and salsa. Spoon sauce over hens and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.