Brochettes Of Melon, Prosciutto, And Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves - (packed) plus
- additional sprigs for garnish
- 1 medium shallot quartered
- 1 small cantaloupe - (abt 2 lbs) halved crosswise, seeded, cut into 6 wedges, peeled
- 6 small fresh water-packed mozzarella balls drained (or one 8-oz ball) see * Note
- 6 thin slices prosciutto halved lengthwise, gathered into ruffles
- 6 wooden skewers - (8" long)
* Note: Available at Italian markets, cheese shops, and some supermarkets.
Using on/off turns, puree olive oil, 1/3 cup basil, and shallot in processor until basil and shallot are finely chopped.
Cut each cantaloupe wedge crosswise in half. If using large mozzarella ball, trim and cut into 6 cubes. Alternate 1 melon piece, 1 piece ruffled prosciutto, 1 mozzarella ball or cube, 1 more prosciutto piece, and 1 more melon piece on each skewer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 15 minutes before serving.)
Arrange skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil oil and sprinkle with cracked black pepper. Garnish with basil sprigs.
This recipe yields 6 servings.