Macaroni and Four Cheeses
- Cooking spray
- One 16 oz box elbow macaroni
- Two 10 oz packages frozen pureed winter squash
- 2 cup lowfat milk
- 1 1/3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2/3 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz)
- 1/2 cup par-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
1.) Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Coat a 9 x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.
2.) Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
3.) Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it is defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar, Jack cheese, ricotta, salt, mustard, and cayenne. Pour this mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine.
4.) Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake until the cheeses are bubbling around the edges, about 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned.