This fresh homemade bread can be made into white or wheat bread. For a buttery crust, brush hot loaves with butter. Cool on a rack and enjoy!
- 2 cups warm water (110°F)
- 2/3 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups white flour (or 3 cups wheat, and 3 white)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 140mins
In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water, add yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam, about 10 minutes.
Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Work in 6 cups of flour. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in well-oiled bowl, and turn once to coat the entire surface of the dough with oil. Cover with a clean damp cotton cloth. Allow dough to rise until double in size. (Mine took about an hour).
Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into well oiled 9x5-inch loaf pans. Allow rising for 30 minutes.
Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes. When you thump the top of the bread it should sound hollow. For a buttery crust, brush hot loaves with butter. Cool on a rack and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Peach Cobbler Muffins 4.3/5 (88 Votes)
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Banana... 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Cheese & Garlic Crack Bread 4.2/5 (85 Votes)
Review this recipe