Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Parmesan Grits
The fresh lemon and garlic complement the shrimp perfectly in this tasty combination that is served over Parmesan grits. Serve with homemade biscuits or buttered toast and fresh brewed coffee.
- 4 servings cooked white grits (not instant)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (I used Great Value)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 pound medium shrimp (without heads), peeled and deveined, tails intact (I used frozen, thawed)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- Juice of half a lemon, (2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes (can use fresh)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cook enough grits for 4 servings as directed on package. When done, whisk in 1 tablespoon butter, the Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and keep warm.
Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic, and cayenne and cook until the shrimp are done 3 tp 4 minutes, stirring constantly. (May need to reduce the heat a little to keep the garlic from burning.) Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Plate the grits in shallow bowls then top with the shrimp mixture. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.