Stew, Sausage and Collard Greens
- 1 pound mild sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped leek (from 1 leek)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 8 ounces chopped fresh collard greens
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2 to 3 garlic cloves)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked ditalini pasta (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium, stirring to break apart with a wooden spoon, until just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add leek, and cook until sausage is browned and leek begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add sausage, chopped leek, and pan drippings to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add stock, collards, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW until vegetables are softened and sausage is cooked through, about 4 hours. Stir in cooked pasta and heavy cream just before serving.