Crab and Shrimp Bisque
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fine onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fine celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces backfin or lump crab meat
- 4 to 8 ounces small cooked shrimp or other seafood (if the shrimp are large chop into smaller pieces.
- 2 tablespoon sherry wine*
Adapted from thespruce.com
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-low heat; add the chopped onion and celery. Saute, stirring, until tender.
Blend the flour into the butter and vegetables until well incorporated. Continue cooking, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
Warm the milk in another saucepan over medium heat.
Slowly stir in the warmed milk and continue cooking and stirring until thickened.
Add the freshly ground black pepper, tomato paste, and heavy cream.
If desired, puree the soup in a blender or food processor** at this point and then return it to the saucepan.
Stir in the crab, shrimp, and the sherry. Bring to a simmer.
*Sherry is a wine which is fortified with brandy. Dry sherry is a good choice for this recipe. After sherry is opened, it should be stored in the refrigerator.
Tips and Variations
Feel free to add small cooked bay scallops or lobster instead of the shrimp.
If desired, garnish the soup with thinly sliced green onion tops, cilantro, or parsley. Or add a spoonful of sour cream and swirl it.