Chicken Tamale Casserole
This easy chicken tamale casserole recipe will become a family favorite! The cheesy goodness is garnished with fresh ingredients and sour cream.
- 1 box of your favorite cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 ounces canned green chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup Monterrey jack/cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 packet taco seasoning.
- 3/4 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can Mexican style corn niblets
- Tortilla chips, crumbled.to cover the top
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Chopped Avocado, chopped
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Purple onion, chopped
- Sour cream
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from allfreecasserolerecipes.com
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Mix a box of your favorite cornbread mix according to package directions.
Stir in the cheese blend, cream-style corn, cumin, and green chilies.
Add about a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a cast iron skillet and let it get really hot.
Pour cornbread batter into hot skillet.
Place in oven and bake about 25 minutes.
While cornbread is baking, combine shredded, cooked chicken with 1 cup of red enchilada sauce and the taco seasoning.
Remove cornbread from the oven and add rinsed black beans, corn niblets, chicken and sauce, crumbled tortilla chips and mozzarella cheese.
Drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce over the top.
Return to oven for 15 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, lime juice, salt and pepper, and onion.
Serve hot with sour cream and an extra squeeze of lime.