Chile Relleno Chicken Soup
- 5 poblano peppers (approximately 2 cups, pureed)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb raw boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (OR 3 Cups
- of cooked cubed chicken)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Cooking time 20mins
1) Roast poblano peppers until skin is charred and blistered. You can do this over the open flame on a gas stove, or by heating your broiler to high and placing poblanos within a few inches of the broiler (turning to get all sides charred).
2) Place poblanos in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool, then rub skin to remove as much as possible. Cut out seeds and then place in a food processor or blender to finely chop. Set aside.
3) In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and poblanos and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4) Stir in chicken broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add chicken pieces and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
5) Add cream cheese and two cups of the cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth.
6) To serve, divide into 6 bowls and sprinkle each with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Sit briefly under the broiler until cheese is melted and browned (this step is optional but OH SO GOOD!).
Side Note: I add the cream cheese prior to adding my cooked chicken pieces & e let it all get good and hot, then whisk til smooth, THEN I add my cooked chicken pieces and cook for approx 10 more minutes, THEN I add the shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp) and stir til smooth and serve.
This cost me $7.85 to make on batch