Fig And Stilton Salad With Port Wine Dressing
- 3/4 cup ruby port
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil or walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package dried black Mission figs - (9 oz) stemmed, and cut in half lengthwise - (abt 1 3/4 cups)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bag mixed baby greens - (5 oz) (about 10 cups loosely packed)
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese crumbled
Whisk first 10 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. (Dressing can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Bring vinaigrette and figs to simmer in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Simmer until dressing is slightly syrupy, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Cool slightly. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide greens among 6 plates. Sprinkle cheese over greens. Ladle warm dressing and figs over salads and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
The sweet-tart dressing paired with creamy Stilton cheese strikes a great balance in this winter salad.