Creamy Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups dry whole-wheat macaroni/elbow noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 TBS butter
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS heavy cream, divided
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated cheese (mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack or even better – a combination of different cheeses is highly recommended including a little Parmesan cheese if you have it)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste (this dish is great with pepper on top)
1. In the pot you used to boil the noodles, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the ⅓ cup of cream until well combined.
2. Turn the heat down to low and add the noodles, cheese, salt and pepper and cook while stirring until the the cheese melts.
3. Stir in the last tablespoon of cream at the end. Season with black pepper and serve immediately.