Asian Vegetables With Tofu And Coconut Milk
- 8 small broccoli florets
- 8 small cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 12 pieces canned baby corn drained
- 8 snow peas strings removed
- 6 large shiitake mushrooms - (abt 4 oz) stemmed, caps sliced
- 1 small Chinese or Japanese eggplant quartered longwise, and cut crosswise into 1" pieces
- 3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (available at Asian markets)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce or vegetarian oyster sauce (available at Asian markets)
- 1 square baked teriyaki-seasoned tofu - (2" by 2") cut into 1"
- by 1/2" by 1/4" pieces
- 1 baby bok choy quartered lengthwise
- 1 green onion cut into 1" pieces
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Blanch broccoli and cauliflower in pot of boiling salted water 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add broccoli, cauliflower, corn, snow peas, mushrooms, and eggplant. Cover and cook until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
Mix in coconut milk, soy sauce, and oyster sauce. Add tofu, bok choy, and green onion. Cover and cook until vegetables are just tender and coated with sauce, about 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with pepper. Transfer vegetables to large bowl and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 2 main-course or 4 side-dish servings.