Spicy Bell Pepper Salad
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 red bell pepper cut 1/3"-thk rings
- 1 green bell pepper cut 1/3"-thk rings
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut 1/3"-thk rings
- 1 medium onion cut 1/4"-thk rounds, separated into rings
- 6 strips lemon peel, yellow part only - (3" x 1/2")
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Stir caraway seeds in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in oil and crushed red pepper. Add all peppers, onion, lemon peel and garlic. Increase heat to medium-high and sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 7 minutes.
Transfer pepper mixture to large bowl. Mix in dill. Cool. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Remove lemon peel. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 93; total fat, 7 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0 mg.