Brussels Sprouts and Lentil Rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (215 g) Puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (100 g) parboiled long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup (10 g) chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 5 1/2 cups (675 g) Brussels sprouts leaves
- Salt and pepper
Adapted from ricardocuisine.com
n a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the onion, celery and garlic in half the oil (2 tbsp/30 ml). Add the lentils, broth, tomato purée and spices. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the rice, cover again and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked but still slightly firm. Let rest for 5 minutes uncovered. Add the parsley.
With two racks in the middle positions, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Scatter the Brussels sprouts leaves on the sheets. Drizzle with the remaining oil (2 tbsp/30 ml). Season with salt and pepper. Bake both sheets for 12 to 15 minutes or until the leaves are lightly golden brown.
When ready to serve, place the Brussels sprouts leaves on top of the rice and lentil casserole.
True Puy lentils are grown in Puy, France, and are known for their rich earthy flavour. Their starch content is lower than other green lentils, so they better retain their shape after cooking.
You'll also love
- Crock-Pot Beef Ragu with Penne and... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Portugese Stuffed Pork Chops 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Blue Cheese, Chicken, Apple and... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Mango-Cucumber Rice Salad 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Mexican Black Bean Spaghetti 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Greek Pasta Salad with White Beans 4/5 (2 Votes)
- French Lentil Rice Soup 4/5 (2 Votes)