Chicken & Mushroom Casserole
Chicken and Mushroom Casserole can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
- 4 to 5 large chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 -inch thick strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour to coat the chicken
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup half and half (or 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup heavy cream)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from natashaskitchen.com
Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge both sides in flour.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Once oil is hot, add chicken and sauté until golden. Work in batches if needed so you don't crowd your pan. Don't worry about cooking the chicken through; it still needs to go in the oven. Transfer chicken to a 13x9 casserole baking dish.
Wipe down the skillet with a paper towel. Add 3 tablespoons oil along with sliced mushrooms and diced onions and sauté until soft and golden. Add garlic and sauté another 1 to 2 minutes.
Spread mixture over the chicken.
In a medium saucepan (or in the same pan you've been using), melt 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in 3 tablespoons flour until lightly golden (1 - 2 minutes).
Add 1½ cups chicken broth, 1 tablespoons lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup half & half and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over the chicken and mushrooms.
Cover with foil and bake at 350˚F for 45 minutes. Serve warm or hot over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.
Don't use a Dutch oven for this recipe, it just doesn't turn out right. It's important that the chicken is in a single layer in the pan for baking. You can add artichoke to this, but don't try zucchini (turns to mush).
You'll also love
- PUMPKIN PIE SPICE CINNAMON TWISTS 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Beef Burgundy Stew 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Spiced Cider 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Bean Dip 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Easy Lasagna Pasta Bake 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Coffee-Marinated Flank Fajitas... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Mushroom Soup II 4.4/5 (8 Votes)