Sweet- and- sour pork
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb pork boneless shoulder, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 can 13 1/4 oz pineapple chunks, drained (reserve syrup)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 small green pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 can 16oz bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can 8oz water chestnuts, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups hot cooked rice
Mix 2 tbsp of the flour and ginger. Coat pork with flour mixture. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet. Fry pork until brown, remove from skillet.
Add enough water to reserved pineapple syrup to measure 1 cup. Shake remaining flour and the syrup-water mixture in tightly covered container. Stir flour mixture, vinegar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce into fat in skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute, reduce heat. Stir in sugar, salt, pepper and pork. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pork is tender, about 45 minutes.
Add pineapple and green pepper, cook uncovered 10 minutes. Stir in bean sprouts, water chestnuts and chili sauce, cook uncovered 5 minutes longer. Serve over hot rice.