Red-Onion Meat Loaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds red onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from white bread (abt 3 slices)
- 1 can vegetable juice - (5 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until just tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to large bowl. Add 1/2 cup ketchup and all remaining ingredients; mix just until blended. Shape mixture into 9- by 4-inch loaf on large baking sheet; spread remaining 1/2 cup ketchup over top and sides.
Bake meat loaf until thermometer inserted into center registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to platter and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.