Spinach and Feta Chicken Roulade
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound spinach
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (toasted)
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 lemon (zested)
- crushed red pepper (optional, to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 6-8 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts (pounded to 1/4-inch)
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 lemon (cut in wedges)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2 For the Filling: in a large sauté pan over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, shallot, and garlic and sauté until tender about 3 minutes. Add the spinach, in 3 batches, allowing the spinach to wilt a little with each addition, season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature. Using a kitchen towel, ring out any excess moisture from the spinach mixture.
3 Roughly chop the spinach mixture and add to a medium bowl, along with pine nuts, feta cheese, lemon zest, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and chili flakes, if desired. Fold together until combined.
4 For the Chicken Roulade: season the chicken breasts with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide the spinach mixture evenly among the 4 chicken breasts, keeping the filling away from the edges. Beginning at the narrower end of the chicken of 1 chicken breast, roll up, enclosing the filling as you would a jelly roll. Tie with kitchen twine every inch to secure. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
5 Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet, over medium high heat and add the chicken. Rotate to evenly brown on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Place in oven, bake until a thermometer registers to 165ºF on the thickest part of the chicken, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven. Let rest 5 minutes. Cut the twine and slice into 1-inch pieces.
6 Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.
- Use a pork cutlet instead of chicken!
- Make sure you don't over-stuff the chicken, or the filling will come out the sides!
You'll also love
- Easy Seafood Paella Recipe 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Salted-Maple... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Sautéed Garlic & Balsamic Chicken... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Breast with Pico... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Crockpot Curry Soup with Sweet... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken, Rice and Zucchini... 4.1/5 (34 Votes)
- Spinach Feta and Potato Gratin 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Cheesy Pesto Chicken 4.4/5 (16 Votes)