This hearty meal doesn't require a lot of prep time and hits the spot on a cool night.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 chicken legs (3 pounds)
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pound sausages, such as Italian or merguez
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3 tarragon sprigs, plus chopped tarragon for garnish
- 2 cups beluga lentils
- Kosher salt
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add the chicken and garlic and cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the sausages, stock and tarragon sprigs and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the lentils, cover and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 30 minutes. Season the cassoulet with salt and pepper, garnish with chopped tarragon and serve.
Earthy, focused red Burgundy.