Cheesy Broccoli Soup in a Bread Bowl
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water or additional chicken stock
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bread bowls
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in broccoli, carrot, stock, cream, bay leaves and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until tender.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove bay leaves; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in salt and pepper.
For bread bowls, cut top off each loaf; carefully hollow out bottom of each, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Serve soup in bread bowls. Yield: 6 servings.