Perfect side dish for everything except Cheerios! It's got all the good stuff.. corn, onion, bell pepper, and b-a-c-o-n!
- 5-6 slices bacon, cut in 1/2 - 3/4" pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (scant 1/2 cup)
- Half of a small bell pepper, chopped (1/3 cup) (I used green)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped (I used 1 Tbl. finely diced Trappey's pickled jalapeno slices from a jar)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or reserved bacon fat)
- 1 (24 oz) family-size bag frozen whole kernel corn, unthawed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream*
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Cook bacon and set aside to drain on paper towels.
In a medium skillet over medium heat, saute onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno in a little butter or fat from the bacon, about 1 tablespoon. Stir and cook just until veggies are crisp tender (they will finish cooking later). Add the frozen corn and cook and stir until heated through. Stir in the chicken broth; then pouring in a thin stream, stir in the cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in about half the bacon (reserve the rest for garnish) and cook until corn is tender and liquid is reduced by half or more.
Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with reserved bacon. Serve immediately.
NOTE: *I have also used sour cream instead of the heavy cream. Can also stir in 1-2 tablespoons cream cheese along with the heavy cream, if desired.