ULTIMATE MACARONI AND CHEESE
Found this recipe in Bon Appetit’. The first time I made it, Peter was out of town. I ate it all before he got back. I did tell him how good it was though. I finally made it again and it has become one of his favorites. It really is a whole bunch better than Kraft Mac & Cheese.
- 1 3/4 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 1/4 cups 1/2 inch cubes extra sharp cheddar cheese (about 5 oz)
- 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1/4 Tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 Tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 Cups half & half (I use fat free)
- 1 1/3 Cups heavy cream
- 2/3 Cup sour cream (I use light)
- 2 Large eggs (can use Egg Beaters)
- 3/4 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 Cups packed grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (about 5 oz)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish. Cook macaroni in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain pasta. Transfer to prepared dish. Mix in cubed cheese.
Whisk flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in medium bowl, until no lumps remain. Gradually whisk in half and half, then whipping cream and sour cream. Add eggs and Worcestershire; whisk to blend. Pour over macaroni mixture and stir to blend. Sprinkle grated cheddar over.
Bake until just set around edges, but sauce is still liquid in center, about 25 minutes. Remove from over. Let stand 15 minutes to thicken slightly. (Sauce will be creamy)