Crab Cakes with Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- Crab Cakes:
- 1/2 lb jumbo lump crab meat, pick it over but leave it in large chunks
- 3 tbs finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tbl finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbl finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Tabasco, several dashs (to taste)
- 2 - 4 tbls bread crumbs (to bind the cakes)
- Panko for coating the crab cakes
- Canola oil for sauteing
- Remoulade Sauce:
- 1.5 c. mayonnaise
- 3 tbls capers, drained & chopped
- 3 tbls chopped cornichons
- 1 tbl chopped chived
- 1 tbl chopped chervil (can substitute flat leaf parsley if not available)
- 1 tbl chopped tarragon
- 1 tbl Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Worcehtershire sauce
- 3 - 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from 3.bp.blogspot.com
1) Combine red pepper, shallots & parsley in a bowl, season with salt & pepper & then add the crab being careful not to break up the large pieces
2) In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise & egg, season with cayenne & Tabasco, Gently stir into crab & mix just to blend.
3) Stir in 2 tbls of bread crumbs & see if the cakes hold together (you just want the cakes to barely hold together). If necessary add additional bread crumbs. Form 4 cakes & coat with panko. Refrigerate until ready to fry.
4) Preheat oven to 350 F
5) Heat a large saute pan and add about 1/4" of oil. Add in crab cakes & cook over medium high heat until the cake are lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Turn the cakes over & cooks the other side.
6) Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet & bake for 10 minutes, until cooked through.
Combine all the ingredients, season to taste with salt & pepper.
Refrigerate until ready to use, will keep in refrigerator for up to 3 days.