India - Pomegranate Rice
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup jasmine or long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 - 14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pistachio nuts
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Lemon peel strips
Adapted from bhg.com
1.In large saucepan cook shallots in hot oil over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or just until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice, ginger, and cinnamon. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until rice begins to brown.
2.Carefully add broth and water to rice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 14 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
3.Stir in nuts and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle lemon peel. Makes 6 to 8 servings.