Spicy Shrimp with Creamy Polenta
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 c. freshly grated Asiago
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on, if desired)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring salt and 4 cups water to a boil. Add polenta in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk
2 minutes more, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and cheese. Season with salt.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and scallion whites and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until soft, stirring, 4 minutes.
Add shrimp and thyme and cook until shrimp are completely pink, stirring, 4 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Add wine and chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minute. Stir in cream and simmer 2 minutes more.
Serve shrimp over polenta and garnish with remaining scallion greens.