Montana Elk Stew
Great hearty stew. Good for the winter nights
- 1 pound Elk steak cut up into 1" cubes
- 1-2 cups Flour
- 1 stick Butter
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 can Swansons vegetable broth
- Vegetables of your choice ( carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips etc.)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cut up elk meat into 1 inch cubes, try to keep them all the same size.
Shake in a baggie with flour
Add butter to a large pot and brown meat on all sides. If you have a lot of meat do it in batches so the meat is not crowded.
Remove browned meat and set aside. Add more butter to the pan and saute the chopped onion and celery until soft.
Add the meat back into the pot. Add 1 can Swansons veggie broth, and enough warm water to cover the meat. On med/high heat cooking, string constantly till it thickens and boils. Be sure to stir up into the mix any browned bits from the bottom.
Lower heat so it simmers gently. Cook for 1 hour covered stirring occasionally. Add more water to keep the level above the meat.
Cut up your veggies into about 1" cubes and add to pot. Add more water if needed to cover the mix wll.
Cook another hour until all veggies are tender.
Salt and pepper to taste.
You'll also love
- Chrispy Potato Bites 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Crab and Artichoke Dip 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Korean-Style Pork and Rice 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Masala 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Eggs Benedict Bake 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Sesame Chicken Bites Recipe 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- 7-Ingredient Zuppa Toscana 4.7/5 (7 Votes)