Gingered Peas and Water Chestnuts
JOAN SOLBERG • Ashland, Wisconsin
My friend started making this as a special treat for the
holidays because it has such a nice combination of
flavors and textures. It’s one of my most requested dishes,
so I serve it at home and for potlucks all year-round.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and
- 1 jar (4 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- 5 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Set aside 1/4 cup broth. In a large saucepan, combine the vegetables, butter, seasonings and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved broth
until smooth; stir into pea mixture. Bring to a boil; cook
and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.