Make-Ahead Slow-Cooker Asian Beef Short Ribs
- To Freeze/Slow Cook
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lb beef short ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves peeled
- 2-inch piece of gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- To Serve
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 English (hothouse) cucumber, halved crosswise, shaved with vegetable peeler down to seeds
- 3 carrots, peeled, then shaved with vegetable peeler
- 4 cups hot cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, if desired
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, if desired
- 8 lime wedges, if desired
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook ribs in two batches, fattiest side down first, on all sides 2 to 3 minutes per side, until browned. Transfer to plate; cool 15 minutes. Discard fat and pan drippings. Transfer ribs to labeled 1-gallon freezer bag. Pour 1/3 cup soy sauce over ribs and seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible. Lay flat and freeze up to 3 months.
2 Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce and mustard. Stir in garlic and gingerroot. Transfer to labeled airtight freezer container; seal well. Freeze up to 3 months.
3 Thaw ribs and sauce 12 to 24 hours in refrigerator until completely thawed.
4 Pour ribs and sauce into 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
5 Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk vinegar, granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons soy sauce. Stir in cucumber and carrots. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour but no longer than 3 hours; drain.
6 Transfer short ribs to cutting board. Transfer 1/2 cup braising liquid to medium bowl. Remove bones and any pieces of fat from short ribs and discard. Shred meat with two forks, and transfer to bowl with reserved liquid. Discard remaining cooking liquid.
7 Divide rice among 8 bowls. Divide shredded beef and marinated vegetables among bowls of rice. Top with remaining ingredients.