Super Moist Apple Cake with Cinnamon Sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Adapted from wsj.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch round, 2-inch-deep cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 1½ cups sugar and butter until light in color, 3-5 minutes. Scrape down bowl as necessary and continue beating until mixture is very light in texture and color, several minutes more. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping bowl between additions.
Sift together both flours, baking powder and salt. Alternate between mixing milk and dry ingredients into butter mixture, stopping to scrape bowl as necessary. Add vanilla and mix batter just until smooth. Do not overbeat.
Pour batter into prepared pan and spread with a rubber spatula to evenly cover pan. Arrange apple slices in overlapping concentric circles on top of the batter, taking care to completely cover it. Pour cream evenly over apples.
Stir together remaining ½ cup sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle mixture over top of cake. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 minutes. Remove pan from oven, transfer to a rack and let cool completely.