Saté Babi (Pork Satay)
- 1 kg (2 lb) pork fillet or boned pork loin
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 tb tamarind liquid or lemon juice
- 2 tb dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sambal ulek or 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp palm sugar or substitute
- 2 tb peanut oil
1) Ask butcher to remove rind from pork loin. Cut pork into small cubes about 2cm square.
2) Put onion, garlic, ginger, tamarind liquid, soy sauce, sambal ulek or chillies, salt and sugar into blender container and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl, stir in oil, then add cubed pork and stir until all the pieces are well coated with marinade. Leave for at least one hour, or longer, in refrigerator.
3) Thread on skewers 5 or 6 pieces, not pushed too close together and leaving a few inches on end of skewer for holding. Leaving space between pieces enables them to cook more evenly, and pork must be well cooked. Grill over glowing coals or under preheated griller for 6-7 minutes on each side, or until pork is well cooked through and brown on all sides. Do not put too close to source of heat or outside will be brown before pork is cooked through.